I love wings. Mmmmmm…….
Chicken wings are one of my favorite types of food. Anytime I go out to watch a UFC fight I love having some wings. This past weekend I was watching the UFC fight at home and decided to make my own healthy version of some chicken wings.
So you might wonder, what is Jaffna? Well, Jaffna is the town I was born in and it’s a city located in the Northern part of the country Sri Lanka. A lot of the foods from Jaffna uses chili powder and green chili’s to spice things up. If you love spicy chicken wings, you will love this recipe.
The Jaffna chicken wing recipe uses green chili’s, red onions, garlic and chili powder with a side of baked sweet potato. I would suggest making the sweet potato first as it takes the longest time. Simply cut the sweet potato into chip like circles and a little thicker than a regular potato chip. Drizzle a little olive oil on the sweet potato and bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. Keep an eye on the chips in the oven to make sure it’s not burning.
Once the sweet potato is in the oven we can prep the chicken. I like to take the skin off the chicken wings to reduce the fat. If you like the skin you can leave it on. Once the wings are clean and ready, its time to mix them with 1 tablespoon of chili powder. Finely chop 5 green chili peppers and 1 tablespoon full of diced garlic. Mix them both with the chicken. Dice one red onion and mix that in with the chicken as well. Now add 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Mix everything well with the chicken and let it sit till the sweet potatoes are done.
Once the sweet potato is done we can turn the oven up to 400 degrees and let the chicken bake for about 30-40 minutes. Halfway through the time turn the chicken over so it cooks evenly on both sides. When the chicken is done take out of the oven and serve. When serving I like to dice some more fresh green chili’s, red onions and then sprinkle it on top of the chicken wings. Enjoy!
- 20 Chicken wings
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 5 Green Chili's
- 1 Tablespoon finely diced garlic
- 1 Medium Red Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- Dice sweet potato into thin circular shapes. Cut them a little thicker than regular chips.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake in a pre heated 350 degree oven for about 1 hour. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Clean and take the skin off the chicken wings to reduce the fat.
- Mix diced green chili's, diced garlic, diced red onions, chili powder, light soy sauce and sea salt with the chicken wings and let it marinate till the sweet potatoes are done.
- Once sweet potatoes are done turn the oven up to 400 degrees.
- Bake the chicken wings for 30 to 40 minutes turning them half way through to make sure they cook evenly.
- Take out of the oven and serve the chicken wings with a side of sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle some diced red onion and green chili's to garnish the chicken wings when serving.